[cool yule]
Sep. 24th, 2026 11:00 pmDear Yulefriend,
Hi! Thanks so much for writing a story for me! I am very excited to see what you come up with. I have given you some ideas about what I like in each canon, but if you already have an idea, then as long as it doesn't hit up against my DNWs I look forward to it! Write something you will have fun with.
If you're here browsing letters, I'm
kathryne at AO3 and my account is set to allow gift works/treats.
do not want
I do not want to read: rape; animal abuse or death; illness or caretaking; self-harm; kid!fic (note one exception in Ride or Die); mommy kink. I am okay with violence in service to the story; I am okay with canon-typical violence. I'm also not interested in complete AUs (ie, coffee-shop-type AUs). I do enjoy AUs where one thing in canon is changed and we explore the ramifications of it.
I’m not a big fan of the heteronormative assumption that there’s only one way to progress a relationship and anyone in a relationship must necessarily want co-habitation and homeownership and marriage and children. I love alternative relationship structures and relationships that make sense for the characters.
do want
I love stories about women relying on each other. I like seeing moments in fic that give deeper meaning to moments we see on screen. I like porn; I like G-ratings; I like ratings in between. I strongly prefer more developed stories rather than shorter vignettes strung together on a theme.
I love complicated relationships between complicated women, where things aren't necessarily completely straightforward but that doesn't mean they're wrong. I love power dynamics, and subverting them.
I like gen, but I also write and love everything right up to NC-17. I really enjoy power dynamics in bed, and rough sex that's either an expression of love or of... something darker. I also love laughter and silliness and exploration and snuggles! For contemporary canons and characters who would be into it, sex toys, strap-ons, lingerie etc - yes.
If you feel like going for some good old tropes, some of my favourites include: bedsharing; road trips; huddling for warmth; mutual pining that gets resolved.
*
These fandoms are in absolutely no order of preference and I would be delighted to receive any of them. I've thrown out a number of questions and ideas for each - choose amongst them, combine a couple, or come up with something of your own!
Riot Women - Kitty, Yvonne, Beth, Holly - any two or more characters
I kind of just want something joyful for any or all of the characters? Please mix and match to your heart's content (including any of the untagged women, if you want). I would prefer at least two of the above be included, because I really do love how they all build their brilliant tentative flourishing relationships. Somewhat to my surprise, I don't particularly ship any of them, but if you do I would LOVE to be persuaded. (I do think Kitty deserves to be treated nicely by someone for once, redemptively - and I definitely read her as openly queer.)
I would prefer not to have a lot about any of the band's kids or parents. Also if you don't go the femslash route, I would prefer not to focus on a het relationship.
Have you got a subject you think they should write a song about? Tell me about them working on it - night in the pub sharing stories, trying to work out their next topic? How do the rest of them mine their trauma? Album listening party? Another gig? Another recording session? Missing scene? I don't want something so fluffy it's unbelievable - I think part of the genius of Sally Wainwright is that she is so good at melding the dark and the light - but if we could end on a note of hope, that would be great.
*
Teenage Sex and Death at Camp Miasma - Billy
I really want Billy backstory here! I am so open to you telling me any kind of story about her. How did she discover her own sexuality (feel free to bring in an OFC or two if you want - also, I would prefer not to read explicit het sex but if you see that as part of her journey then non-explicit references are fine)? What sort of roleplay scenarios fire her imagination, sexually or otherwise? What was the process of her deciding not to come back for any further Camp Miasma films? What led her to buying the camp and how did she feel about it? What else does she watch in that cinema? What is UP with her art fixation?
I'm not usually a horror girl, but made an exception for this film (and I'm glad I did, obvs). I can see this being a really fun canon with which to be intertextual with other horror franchises and if this brings you joy, go for it - I may not get all your references but I will love your enthusiasm.
*
Pluribus - Carol, Helen
Carol/Helen backstory pleeeeeeeease! Here are some potential ideas, but I'd also be open to anything you have in your dreams. Miriam Shor said in an interview somewhere that she and Rhea talked about Helen and Carol's relationship having started professionally first and only then becoming romantic - tell me about how Helen went from Carol's manager to her wife! What conversations did they have about Raban being or not being a woman? What other ridiculous vacations did they go on? Give me Helen's pov on reading Bitter Chrysalis or Wycaro and how she worked through that to keep supporting Carol. How did Carol's drinking affect Helen? What's their sex life like? Do they ever have any fun on their book tours? What happens on the days when Helen is the grumpy one? Tell me about their trip to see the Indigo Girls or other ridiculously lesbian things they did together.
I don't really want a deep dive into their desire to have kids or the process of freezing Carol's eggs, please, but you can mention it if need be (ie, as part of a story about Carol's drinking) as long as it's not the main focus. I would also prefer not to read a story where Helen is angry about Carol's desire to be professionally closeted; I think Helen is sad about it and wishes Carol would get over it, but I also think she recognises it as a trauma response, you know?
*
Ride or Die - Debbie, Judith
GOD, this was so much fun to watch and I loved it so much and I'm so mad it's been cancelled! I absolutely just want MORE of these two. If you ship them, I would love to read about that: how do they get together? Who started pining first? Do they fuck and fight their way across Europe in increasingly-implausible disguises? If you don't ship them, I would love to read about that: what other trips did Judith drag Debbie on that were secretly assassinations, and what hilarity ensued from her trying to hide that? What is it like for Debbie's kids to have Auntie Judith and what ridiculous things did they all do together (ie, I can see some real shenanigans from Judith and Debbie taking the kids, idk, Christmas shopping or something)? Tell me the stories of some of the mementoes in Judith's apothecary cabinet. Tell me about Judith going antiquing with Debbie. Tell me about some of the reasons Judith thinks Debbie could do better than David, or about other ways in which Debbie has sneakily managed David's political career (with reluctant help from Judith?). Tell me your take on a season two (shippy or not). You can include any of the other characters in supporting roles if you want, as long as the focus is Debbie and Judith and their relationship.
*
Thanks so much for writing for me - I can't wait to read it. I do not currently expect to be away from my computer at reveals, but I'll update this letter if that changes.
Hi! Thanks so much for writing a story for me! I am very excited to see what you come up with. I have given you some ideas about what I like in each canon, but if you already have an idea, then as long as it doesn't hit up against my DNWs I look forward to it! Write something you will have fun with.
If you're here browsing letters, I'm
do not want
I do not want to read: rape; animal abuse or death; illness or caretaking; self-harm; kid!fic (note one exception in Ride or Die); mommy kink. I am okay with violence in service to the story; I am okay with canon-typical violence. I'm also not interested in complete AUs (ie, coffee-shop-type AUs). I do enjoy AUs where one thing in canon is changed and we explore the ramifications of it.
I’m not a big fan of the heteronormative assumption that there’s only one way to progress a relationship and anyone in a relationship must necessarily want co-habitation and homeownership and marriage and children. I love alternative relationship structures and relationships that make sense for the characters.
do want
I love stories about women relying on each other. I like seeing moments in fic that give deeper meaning to moments we see on screen. I like porn; I like G-ratings; I like ratings in between. I strongly prefer more developed stories rather than shorter vignettes strung together on a theme.
I love complicated relationships between complicated women, where things aren't necessarily completely straightforward but that doesn't mean they're wrong. I love power dynamics, and subverting them.
I like gen, but I also write and love everything right up to NC-17. I really enjoy power dynamics in bed, and rough sex that's either an expression of love or of... something darker. I also love laughter and silliness and exploration and snuggles! For contemporary canons and characters who would be into it, sex toys, strap-ons, lingerie etc - yes.
If you feel like going for some good old tropes, some of my favourites include: bedsharing; road trips; huddling for warmth; mutual pining that gets resolved.
*
These fandoms are in absolutely no order of preference and I would be delighted to receive any of them. I've thrown out a number of questions and ideas for each - choose amongst them, combine a couple, or come up with something of your own!
Riot Women - Kitty, Yvonne, Beth, Holly - any two or more characters
I kind of just want something joyful for any or all of the characters? Please mix and match to your heart's content (including any of the untagged women, if you want). I would prefer at least two of the above be included, because I really do love how they all build their brilliant tentative flourishing relationships. Somewhat to my surprise, I don't particularly ship any of them, but if you do I would LOVE to be persuaded. (I do think Kitty deserves to be treated nicely by someone for once, redemptively - and I definitely read her as openly queer.)
I would prefer not to have a lot about any of the band's kids or parents. Also if you don't go the femslash route, I would prefer not to focus on a het relationship.
Have you got a subject you think they should write a song about? Tell me about them working on it - night in the pub sharing stories, trying to work out their next topic? How do the rest of them mine their trauma? Album listening party? Another gig? Another recording session? Missing scene? I don't want something so fluffy it's unbelievable - I think part of the genius of Sally Wainwright is that she is so good at melding the dark and the light - but if we could end on a note of hope, that would be great.
*
Teenage Sex and Death at Camp Miasma - Billy
I really want Billy backstory here! I am so open to you telling me any kind of story about her. How did she discover her own sexuality (feel free to bring in an OFC or two if you want - also, I would prefer not to read explicit het sex but if you see that as part of her journey then non-explicit references are fine)? What sort of roleplay scenarios fire her imagination, sexually or otherwise? What was the process of her deciding not to come back for any further Camp Miasma films? What led her to buying the camp and how did she feel about it? What else does she watch in that cinema? What is UP with her art fixation?
I'm not usually a horror girl, but made an exception for this film (and I'm glad I did, obvs). I can see this being a really fun canon with which to be intertextual with other horror franchises and if this brings you joy, go for it - I may not get all your references but I will love your enthusiasm.
*
Pluribus - Carol, Helen
Carol/Helen backstory pleeeeeeeease! Here are some potential ideas, but I'd also be open to anything you have in your dreams. Miriam Shor said in an interview somewhere that she and Rhea talked about Helen and Carol's relationship having started professionally first and only then becoming romantic - tell me about how Helen went from Carol's manager to her wife! What conversations did they have about Raban being or not being a woman? What other ridiculous vacations did they go on? Give me Helen's pov on reading Bitter Chrysalis or Wycaro and how she worked through that to keep supporting Carol. How did Carol's drinking affect Helen? What's their sex life like? Do they ever have any fun on their book tours? What happens on the days when Helen is the grumpy one? Tell me about their trip to see the Indigo Girls or other ridiculously lesbian things they did together.
I don't really want a deep dive into their desire to have kids or the process of freezing Carol's eggs, please, but you can mention it if need be (ie, as part of a story about Carol's drinking) as long as it's not the main focus. I would also prefer not to read a story where Helen is angry about Carol's desire to be professionally closeted; I think Helen is sad about it and wishes Carol would get over it, but I also think she recognises it as a trauma response, you know?
*
Ride or Die - Debbie, Judith
GOD, this was so much fun to watch and I loved it so much and I'm so mad it's been cancelled! I absolutely just want MORE of these two. If you ship them, I would love to read about that: how do they get together? Who started pining first? Do they fuck and fight their way across Europe in increasingly-implausible disguises? If you don't ship them, I would love to read about that: what other trips did Judith drag Debbie on that were secretly assassinations, and what hilarity ensued from her trying to hide that? What is it like for Debbie's kids to have Auntie Judith and what ridiculous things did they all do together (ie, I can see some real shenanigans from Judith and Debbie taking the kids, idk, Christmas shopping or something)? Tell me the stories of some of the mementoes in Judith's apothecary cabinet. Tell me about Judith going antiquing with Debbie. Tell me about some of the reasons Judith thinks Debbie could do better than David, or about other ways in which Debbie has sneakily managed David's political career (with reluctant help from Judith?). Tell me your take on a season two (shippy or not). You can include any of the other characters in supporting roles if you want, as long as the focus is Debbie and Judith and their relationship.
*
Thanks so much for writing for me - I can't wait to read it. I do not currently expect to be away from my computer at reveals, but I'll update this letter if that changes.